Friday, July 23, 2010

Questionable

Laneige N877 Silver Grey; Laneige G767 Gold Khaki;
MAC Greensmoke; Stila Makalu; Stila Champara

I wasn't kidding when I said I've been hauling like a maniac, hahahaha... x.x;; I got to drop by my local CCO recently, and then I came across a Laneige BOGOF sale, and. Well.

...Yeah.

Anyway, if you're looking at this picture and thinking, "Gee, that MAC on the left and that Laneige on the right look really similar," you're not entirely wrong:


MAC Greensmoke; Laneige G767 Gold Khaki

(Sorry about the color discrepancy between the two pics, hahaha, it was hard for my camera to capture. The swatch pic below is much more accurate in terms of what these look like in real life.)

In fact, that's exactly what I thought when I first saw the Laneige. I'd been lemming Greensmoke really hard since I swatched it in May, so when I found three boxes buried behind the flashy LE stuff at the CCO, I didn't hesitate.

...Well, okay, I did for like a second, but come on.

A week later, I was browsing through my local Super H Mart when I pass by the Amore Pacific nook, and what do you know... They actually have point make up on sale! Usually, I don't like Laneige shadows, since a lot of them are a ton of glitter and not much else, but G767 caught my eye immediately. When I went to take a swipe, it was deep and dark and gloriously pigmented.

Of course, since it was awesome, I couldn't help myself (BOGOF Laneige?!?!). So I grabbed pretty gunmetal N877 as my freebie and walked out thinking sadly about my brand new MAC Greensmoke sitting at home, which had apparently cost me twice as much.

Fortunately, I didn't need to worry, because after I tried them on my eyes today? I can say for sure that they are nothing alike.


MAC Greensmoke; Laneige G767 Gold Khaki; Laneige N877 Silver Grey

It's kind of weird because even if you look at the swatches here, which were done by hand, they're not identical, but they are similar. G767 has a much more metallic finish and therefore looks more golden green. Greensmoke, on the other hand, is more subtle and looks kind of brown in comparison. Either way, G767 looks more pigmented here.

Oddly, that isn't the case when I used a brush today. Greensmoke as a shadow is harder, but it built up very easily into the dirty olive color we're so familiar with. G767, on the other hand, is incredibly buttery. It was surprisingly sheer, which is probably due precisely to the soft consistency of the shadow and the metallic finish. If anything, I'd say after today that G767 might be closer to the famous Lancome Erika F. than Greensmoke.

They are definitely in the same color family, though, and look pretty awesome paired together. :)

Either way, I'm glad and amused that my active attempt to buy dupes ended up with a really nice tag-teaming duo instead.

Moving on!

Stila Champara; Stila Makalu


Here are the Stila swatches. I got these from a very generous swap on MUA. I haven't actually worn them yet, but they're both neutral shades, so I'm not too worried. Champara is a nutty nude that pulls a little orange on me, and Makalu is a matte black.

No comments: