Saturday, March 19, 2011

Maybelline EyeStudio Color Plush Silk Eyeshadow

That's a mouthful of a name, isn't it, LOL?


(Top to bottom) 40 Green with Envy; 100 Sunset Seduction
Anyway, since I just posted about the new limited edition collection being released, I wanted to review the two that I already own: 



Green with Envy is my favorite between the two by far. Part of this is because I have an unhealthy obsession with greens, the way some people do with taupes. I never understand when people say green is hard to wear, because to me, there are so many shades!! So many options!!! So versatile and accommodating!! ):

On the flipside, I'm not a fan of warm eyeshadow at all. I've been told that bronze looks really good on me, but I actually really dislike how much it warms up my face and brings out the yellow undertones in my skin, because I strongly prefer looking icy and unapproachable. XD Also, warm colors tend to clash with my wardrobe, which consists of mostly classic Winter colors.

Anyway, I kept hearing that everyone can do any color, etc. etc., and there were coupons and a sale, so I grabbed Sunset Seduction to try it out. Clearly, it didn't really work out, LOL.


Beyond that, though, Green with Envy is more pigmented. It's more obvious when you look at the close up, but even the swatches for Sunset Seduction look sheer, whereas Green with Envy matches the pan pretty exactly. 

The formula for these shadows are creamy and almost glittery. They don't feel substantial the way some eyeshadows do, but trust me, one pat is more than enough. As Musings of a Muse mentioned eons ago when these were first released, these don't blend well. You just have to know where you want your colors to go and then pat them into place. 

...I think I just made it sound more complicated than it actually is, haha, sorry! What I mean is, for example, if you know you want the green in your outer-V, then just put it in your outer-V, on top of the champagne lid color. Don't try to blend everything out altogether, or it'll end up either wiping away or looking muddy.

Part of the problem with Sunset Seduction, for me, is that the pink and taupe don't contrast very well because they're both so sheer. So from the minute I put it on, it already looks muddy, because it doesn't look like there's any difference, but they also don't look distinctly pink or distinctly taupe. On the other hand, I'm also biased because both lid colors are on the paler end of the spectrum, and I generally prefer a little more depth and drama with my eyeshadow. I know that a lot of people really love this quad, so it really does come down to personal preference.

As countless people have said since these were first released, these quads are really a step up from the old school Maybelline formula. I can't comment on how it compares anymore, since the regular formula has also been updated, and I haven't tried any of those yet. However, I feel safe saying that these are pretty solid investments, if you like something shimmery and lightweight. 

No comments: